Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

The Vespertine - Saundra Mitchell Can I just say that I am in awe of this cover? Really, one of the prettiest I've seen in a while.

So, this book wasn't exactly what I was expecting - which I liked. I like when I'm able to let my mind wander and try to fit some of the pieces together. Especially when I'm not always right about things. Nathaniel wasn't what I thought he was. Even Amelia wasn't what I thought she was.

I admit, I'm not one for "historical fiction" (The only book that I've read that takes place outside modern times is Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.) but I really enjoyed The Vespertine. The prose is simply amazing; really written like an 1800s classic. The descriptions of the elaborate fabrics and dresses and clothing - it took me away to a 1889 Baltimore. Interestingly enough, I knew exactly where some of the places mentioned in the book were since Baltimore is only a 45 minute drive from where I live. And to imagine those places more than 100 years ago was really great for me.

The most chuckle-worthy part of this book for me:
"The point is that he'll be able to keep a wife soon, which means he'll want one."
"Does a man ever want one?"

Oh, how things have not changed much since then.

Now with all of the good things said, I will say that I can understand some people who might not like this book due to its..slow pace? non on-the-edge-of-your-seatness? This book isn't "action-packed" and there's not a lot of anything going on other than everyday life, but I ENJOYED that. It was a nice read for a holiday weekend and would be great for a beach trip!