Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

Shut Out - Kody Keplinger Have you ever had one of those books that you wanted to read because it's cute and you just need a little laugh and you need some good sexual tension? Yes? Then this book is definitely for you.

This book is loosely based on Aristophanes' play Lysistrata which I had not even heard of until I came across this book. Shut Out follows Lissa in her raging war against the boys of her high school. What's the war about? Well the soccer team and the football team are at war and she wants more time with her boyfriend. I think every teenage (and non-teenage) girl has felt inadequate or like they're not as much of a priority to their significant other for one reason or another. Well, Lissa decides that a hook-up strike is what's going to get her man to pay more attention to her.

I think the thing I liked the most about this book was the bonding that the girls shared. It's good to show that high school girls can have a united front, even if it's against their own boyfriends and for the purpose of "holding out".

Overall, I thought Shut Out was a cute little read for when you're feeling like something light and fluffy. I haven't read Ms. Keplinger's other book, The Duff, but this book was cute enough that I may just check it out to see what else she's writing. I would recommend this to an avid contemporary reader and not necessarily someone who's looking to be introduced to the contemporary realm, if that makes sense.