Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles) - Alex Flinn Bewitching is the backstory of the witch who puts the curse on Beast from Beauty and the Beast. Alex Flinn did a retelling of that book as well – Beastly – and it was turned into a movie last year. I haven’t read Beastly or seen its movie counterpart, but I’m familiar with the story of Beauty and the Beast and was in the mood for a little fairytale retelling.

This book was so much better than I thought it was going to be. Kendra is a witch and she just so happens to be “the witch” in a bunch of OTHER fairytales because contrary to popular belief, witches are pretty rare and live forever. She’s “the witch” from The Little Mermaid and learns her tricks of the trade from another witch – the evil one from Hansel and Gretel.

Never having read anything by Alex Flinn, I don’t know what I expected from this book. Honestly, I haven’t read many retellings and am always skeptical of the execution of such things but was pleasantly surprised with this book. She gives the stories in this book alternate (aka “true”) endings and although they are retellings, it feels fresh and new. This was a really cute and fun read for me. Definitely recommend for all you Disney lovers out there, as well as people who love retellings.