Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys Between Shades of Gray is the story of Lina, a 15 year old Lithuanian girl, who is taken captive with her mother and younger brother and shipped off to a Siberian labor camp during World War II.

First things first. This is a good book. But my misfortune was that I read it AFTER I had read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and while these books both take place in World War II Europe, that's really where their similarities end. Whether or not I felt more connected to The Book Thief because I was more aware of the tragedies in Germany rather than Lithuania, I don't know. But this book just didn't touch me in the same heartfelt way that The Book Thief did. And perhaps I can blame this on the rather grating voice actor chosen for Between Shades of Gray. It took all I had to get through the last 45 minutes of this audiobook. I found most of the characters to be extremely whiny; their voices like nails on a chalkboard. They didn't seem to have the strength of Liesel or Max. Yes, I know these people were in labor camps but I didn't feel their vigor or uncoquerable-ness (yes, I think I just made that word up).

And the ending just seemed rather un-realistic.

I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy this book; it's just that it was only an alright read for me. Do I think I would have liked it more if I read it before The Book Thief? Yeah, probably but what can you do, ya know?