Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

Insurgent - Veronica Roth Overall 2.5 stars which is saying that it felt somewhere between "okay" and "good". 2.5 does not mean that I didn't like it. It just means it was middle of the road for me. The last 50-75 pages = 3.5 stars.

As you all may or may not know, Insurgent is the extremely highly anticipated sequel to last’s years Divergent. I LOVED Divergent. I found Tris to be an equal of any other great fictional heroine; she didn’t take anything from anyone. She was tough, brave, and yet caring. With main and minor characters that I adored, a thrilling plot, and more than one bad guy to watch out for, I couldn’t have been more excited than when I started to read Insurgent – I just KNEW that I was going to LOVE it.

Except, I didn’t.

The writing was choppy. I felt like I was being thrown from place to place and jerked around wildly on what seemed like a wild goose chase for Tris and Four. They’re going to Amity, they’re going here, they’re going there. It felt like the plot was being forced to move along and didn’t have that organic feeling to it. At least not until 50-75 pages until the ending. That’s when the writing really started to flow and I felt like things were happening smoothly. Those last 50-75 pages really saved me from disliking the book altogether.

So many things just didn’t work for me in Insurgent. Both Tris and Four were acting extremely whiny and annoying. Four was complaining all the time and Tris was crying all the time and they just didn’t seem to connect with me like they did when I read Divergent. I didn’t feel like they grew as characters, but more regressed back into shells of their former selves.

Also, with Insurgent taking place outside of the Dauntless compound, I was hoping that there would be more world building and while we do get to experience more of the other faction compounds and see into some of their customs and people, it didn’t feel like enough. (Though it was nice to see Amity! WOOHOO! I’m definitely Amity, through and through.) For me, it was merely a sketch of what I thought should have been a full painting. I wanted to know more than what colors they wear and how they wear their hair. It was nice to see a few of the customs, but it didn’t feel like enough as far as world building goes.

I will say that some of my questions were answered and that the last page of the book is definitely worthy of a good ending but in making that “good ending”, even MORE questions arose and now everything is going to have to be wrapped up in the last book, which based on the length of both Divergent and Insurgent, will be around 500 pages. Veronica Roth had better change her name to Lucy, because she’s got some s’plaining to do!

Overall, a VERY VERY readable book (I finished this book in less than a day) and I’m pretty much the only one of my friends who didn’t absolutely L-O-V-E it. I wanted to love this one so so badly. It hurts to say that I didn’t. Maybe I went in with unachievable expectations? I don’t know, it just didn’t jive with me like the first one did.

PS – I have heard rumors that there were changes to the final copy, so I will definitely be reading a finished copy to see if that’s true!