Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

Wildefire - Karsten Knight A Polynesian Jewish girl? Yes please.

I loved just about everything about this book. It had everything I was wanting. Witty and hilarious main character? Uh huh. Interesting plot? Mmhmm. Mythology? Yep.

I think one of the things that I really enjoyed about this book was the diversity of all of the characters. The group dynamic was spot on. Each character was unique and brought something different to the table. Some people might think that there are "too many" backgrounds, but I couldn't disagree more! I thought that was what made it interesting and for me, drove home the idea that all religions and types of people can and do co-exist. Plus, I think this gave every reader out there a character that they could identify with.

I especially liked the flashbacks to explain everyone's background (what happened to them before they came to Blackwood Academy). I don't usually like it when POVs hop around but this was a great way to explain where they came from (and foreshadow what god/goddess they were) without getting mushy or unrealistic (because honestly, what teenager is like "yes, I don't know you but I'm going to tell you about my awful past." Answer? None.)

Of course I can't review this book without talking about Eve. Is she good? Is she bad? Is she just playing devil's advocate? Eve is Ash's sister but what does "sisterly love" mean? As an only child, this is hard for me to understand, but I'd like to think it's similar to how I feel about my best friends! Eve was tricky and though I didn't quite understand her, for the majority of the book I did feel sorry for her. Also, can I just say..that tennis match scene was one of the best scenes I've read in a while. I was loving it.

Ultimately for me, Wildefire was about a teenage girl believing in herself and finding out what she was made of and who she was. And I loved it.