Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

The Catastrophic History of You and Me - Jess Rothenberg The Catastrophic History of You and Me is every girl’s worst nightmare. Brie is dating this awesome guy and they go out to dinner and – BAM – he tells her he doesn’t love her. Next thing she knows, she’s dead. That’s right, she literally DIED of a broken heart. And her dad is a cardiologist so he starts digging into this notion that one can die of a broken heart. But Brie has to go through the stages of grief before she can “move on” to a better place.

This book is definitely cute. It was lighthearted and fun while dealing with this theme of death. Brie sees how her various family members and friends handle her death and grieve for her loss. Everyone deals with her death in their own way and it was interesting to see how Brie, herself, dealt with her death. 16 is definitely too young to die – I’m sure everyone would agree with that statement.

I was really enjoying this book up until about 80% of the way through the book. It took this weird turn that I was confused about. It made a good story and really came full circle for Brie’s counterpart, Patrick, but I was confused on why/how the book got to that point. It’s not that I didn’t like it, it just seemed to come out of nowhere. If you’ve read the book, tell me your thoughts in the comments.

Definitely a solid debut and I really enjoyed Jess’s writing. Looking forward to seeing what she comes out with next!