Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

False Memory - Dan Krokos The Adoration of Jenna Fox meets Ender's Game

Looking for a book that is action packed and keeps you on the edge of your seat? Well, here it is. Dan Krokos' debut young adult novel delivers the adventure it promises.

One thing I always find interesting is when male authors write first person POVs with female characters – I mean, how do they get into that mindset? Just like Karsten Knight’s Ashline Wilde, Krokos’s 16 year old Miranda North has a believable voice and I thoroughly enjoyed her. She’s fiesty and stubborn but likable at the same time. And from page one, we’re just as much in the dark as Miranda is about what has happened to her and I think that joint-uncertainty bonds the reader to the character – it puts them on a level playing field, which is really cool.

Another thing I liked about False Memory was the concept behind the actual novel. I can’t talk too much about it without getting into spoilers but it is very much unlike anything out right now and it was fresh and fun. The world building for the science fiction part was great – Krokos goes in depth with some out-of-the-box thinking and makes it feel unique; however, I would have liked a little more setting description, especially since I’m not too familiar with Cleveland and sometimes the environment felt like a blank canvas to me. Of course, it could have been intentional so the reader focused more on what was going on, but I enjoy reading about the setting.

Dan wasn’t afraid to take chances in this book, and it paid off. I enjoyed all the twists and turns and loved that this book made me actually think about what was happening (there were several passages that I had to re-read to grasp what was going on, but not in a “this was poorly explained way”, more of a “wow, this is intricate and makes sense but I don’t get it yet.”).

I’m interested to see where this series goes and will definitely be picking up the next one!