Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

Bittersweet - Sarah Ockler Bittersweet takes us into the life of Hudson Avery, former figure skater and current Cupcake Queen. She lives in a small town and is bursting to get out and explore the world. But what is she willing to sacrifice and who is she willing to push out of her life to make her dreams come true? And are they really her dreams or is she feeling nostalgic for her seemingly perfect past?

My first Sarah Ockler book! I have Twenty Boy Summer on my bookshelf but haven't read it and after reading Bittersweet, I bought Fixing Delilah for my kindle. I love Sarah's writing style. It was like the words came off the pages and enveloped me. And oh my goodness, the description of the cupcakes at the beginning of each chapter made me crave cupcakes like no other!

Now on to the actual book part! :) I really really enjoyed getting to know Hudson. She was a little selfish, but hey, what 16 year old girl isn't? Am I right? There were times when I wanted to wring her neck and other times when I just felt so bad for her and wanted to tell everyone else to JUST BACK OFF and let her be a teenager! I couldn't imagine trying to juggle all of the things that she does. There's a bit of a love triangle, but I was okay with it. Mainly because I could see how it was a natural part of the plot. It didn't feel forced and worked well.

If you've got a hardcover copy of this one, there are some technical issues but I'm happy to say that the paperback version will have technical figure skating changes! :)