Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

Across the Universe - Beth Revis I'll admit that reading the synopsis I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book. I was a little confused about what the book was exactly about. And I did, in fact, contemplate even reading it all. BUT I am SO glad that I did.

I'm not sure where to even begin with my praises for this book. So, first I'll say that I do hold a soft spot for Beth Revis, as a fellow NC State Alumni. (Honestly, how many YA authors come out of Raleigh? and that NC State mention made me grin ear-to-ear!) Even if Beth wasn't NC State Alumni, I would still consider this a GREAT book. Let's talk about why:

1. It's something DIFFERENT! Lately, I've been reading ALOT of YA and many of them have the same paranormal feel (vampires, werewolves, angels, etc). Not to say that I don't enjoy these types of novels because I certainly do. You can tell from my list of books! But other than the fact that this was set in the future, I think it isn't something "far-fetched". I mean, look how far technology has come in the last 10, 20, 50 years. Can you imagine what it would be like 100+ years from now?

2. I instantly fell in love with Elder. Maybe it's the whole 'ethnic ambiguity' that I can relate to or maybe it's the fact that he is so sweet to Amy. Maybe it's the whole rebellious bad-boy side of him. Or maybe it's all the above. :)

3. Dual points of view for Amy and Elder. I really liked how Beth went back and forth between the two. Personally, I feel more attached to characters when books are written in first person and so I felt equally attached to both of them. This book is not a story about just Elder with Amy on the side or Amy with Elder on the side. The story was about the two of them taking this journey together and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing things both from inside and outside of their heads.

4. That ending. I.did.not.see.that.coming. AT ALL. While I did manage to piece some things together for myself, the very ending of the book was like a slap in the face. And very rarely does that happen to me.

5. The dystopic society. It gets me every time. I think I like the idea of sticking it to the man.

This was a book that I was very sad to finish because I wanted more! I am so excited to see the next installment of this trilogy, A Million Suns - hopefully out January 2012.