Sash

Sash from Sash & Em

I run a blog with my best friend, Em - we love Young Adult literature.

The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater Maggie Stiefvater, how do you continue to outdo yourself? You one-up each of your books every time a new one is published.

I'm not really sure what I thought this book was about - birds? Psychics? Without bothering to even read the synopsis, I jumped right into the world of Blue Sargent and her raven boys.

This book is unique in so many different ways - the characters, the setting, the plot - all of it. I can't begin the describe the type of rapture I was in while listening to this audiobook, which was narrated by Will Patton (Remember the Titans!). Side note: he was such an amazing voice actor and the perfect person to bring this book to life. I think his interpretation of the characters and the book made it feel more real than just reading the book would have done. His voice is dark and creepy, but at the same time, it's not. I'm not sure how to explain it.

Back to the actual story part of this - this is the first book in a four book set and so there is so much mystery surrounding the overall quest that I'm interested to see how Maggie opens the mystery slowly to allow some information to trickle out without giving me the whole thing. Often times, I don't like figuring these out before they're revealed to me, and I think this In The Dark feeling is one that is integral to the success of this series.

I was so happy that I picked up a galley of the next installment, The Dream Thieves, at BEA because I just had to know what was going to happen next - THAT LAST LINE!

Maggie's writing is beautiful and haunting, and everything that I loved about the Wolves of Mercy Falls series is found here - plus more.